Signal Mountain Lodge was initially started in the late 1920's to provide accommodations for wealthy outdoorsmen. The first fishing guides were employed not only to provide guide service on the lake, but also to build log cabins and log furniture on the site. In the early 1930's, the lodge was obtained by Ole Warner.
Shortly after that, due to transportation issues, supply problems, difficulty in obtaining help, and insufficient operating capital, Warner sold the property to Charles Wort. At the time of sale, the property was no more than three small log cabins without plumbing, three homemade boats, and a tent frame. Despite its size, Charles Wort was determined to make Signal Mountain Lodge into a first-class fishing resort. Wort was an avid fisherman and had already established a camp and boat dock at Jenny Lake and was the first boat concessioner of Grand Teton National Park.
By 1915, Wort's own children, John and Jess, operated a horse stable and eventually joined their father with the operations of the lodging and fishing services in the area; however, their hearts were set on fulfilling their father's dream of constructing the Wort Hotel in downtown Jackson. The family ran Signal Mountain Lodge from 1932-1940 before selling it to the Harris family. Over the next four decades, the Harris family financed construction of what are now the guest cabins, concenience store, registration, restaurant, and gift store buildings.
The lodge has been owned and operated by Rex Maughan of Phoenix, Arizona since 1984. Major improvements and renovations continue to be made each year to make Signal Mountain Lodge what it is today. Great care is taken in each project to preserve the natural landscape and beauty of Grand Teton National Park.